Thursday, April 4, 2013

Coffee Steeping on An Open Fire and Saying Farewell

Easter this past Sunday was much different than the Easter that I have grown up with. In all reality, we didn't celebrate it. I went to church again with Frank and Nielsy's family and the pastor of the church didn't even mention the fact that it was Easter. At first I was slightly shocked and frustrated that everyone was discounting what I had seen my whole life as the basis of the Evangelical Christian faith. But, as I have been thinking about it more, I came to realize that the Easter we celebrate is a a time to celebrate Christ's death and resurrection, but is, nonetheless, an American-made holiday. Nonetheless, we spent wonderful time as a church congregation lifting our praises up to the Lord and then, in the afternoon, hanging out with the youth group at a local park. 

I got to bring Dominique along, which was a lot of fun. She still has a hard time understanding Spanish but I think she enjoyed herself in spite of it all. My favorite part of our time at the park was when we built a fire in an old tire wheel and made coffee with a traditional Costa Rican coffee maker (a chorreador). As we were making it, it started to rain, but we continued with our task and it was lovely drinking hot coffee in the refreshing wetness of the rain. 

Today is the last full day that Jo will be here in Costa Rica. She leaves tomorrow for the airport at 3:30 in the morning. It doesn't feel real when I think that, tomorrow when I wake up, someone who I have gotten to know really well over the past 3 months will be gone and I may never see her again. 2 thoughts come to mind however, in regards to this topic. The first is the quote, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." The second is a hymn called, "God Be with You till We Meet Again". Though I am sad to part ways, I have been so incredibly blessed these past few months with two roommates who are wonderful, funny people and who made my time her memorable. I couldn't have asked for better. 





Pictures from Easter Sunday are attached here:
Dom laughing after having fallen from kicking the ball. This is probably the best picture of her smiling that I have from the entire 3 months. Yippee!

Fire Roasted Coffee!

Soccer!

Nielsy embracing her inner-child.

Nielsy y yo.

The lovely ladies of the youth group.

The family dog, Blackie.

...and the men of the youth group.

A beautiful tree-scape. 

The coolest root system on a tree that I've ever seen!


5 more days...

Chau!


No comments:

Post a Comment