Before I delve into the heart of what I want to say, I would like to first reflect upon the word serendipity.
According to the ever-reliable dictionary.com, serendipity means: "making fortunate discoveries by accident". Aside from it being one of my favorite words (along with shenanigans), serendipity or serendipitous, in this case, also aptly describes my experience this past Sunday. Though, with the twist that I don't believe it was accident, but, rather, divine appointment that directed my plans.
As I mentioned in my last post, I met a wonderful man named Frank and his wife, Nielsy, as they were the ones who took me to and from the airport during my quick interlude to the U.S. During the 45 minute ride to the airport, I discovered that Frank and his family are strong Christians. He invited me to join his family the following Sunday at their church in Cartago (about 30 minutes from where I live in San Jose). I accepted and, thus, I found myself waiting at 8:30 this past Sunday for Frank to pick me up. I had no idea what to expect.
In short, I was overwhelmed by the generosity and love I was shown for being the newcomer, both at the church and with their family. Nielsy told the pastor that I was coming that Sunday, so when it came time for first-timers to raise their hands, I was called out by name and introduced to the church as the "amiga de la familia de Frank y Nielsy de los Estados Unidos". After the service, I was individually introduced to a good 30 people, all of whom warmly embraced me and placed a traditional kiss on my cheek. I even met tico Christians my age! But, if that wasn't enough, I was constantly under the watchful eye of Nielsy who never hesitated to link arms with me or wrap her arm around my shoulder and give me a hug.
One thing I have really missed while in Costa Rica has been physical touch. It just doesn't happen as often here, as when I'm back in Oregon or Wheaton. It felt like I had a mama tica who was looking out for me.
After being introduced to a large portion of the congregation, we headed back to Frank and Nielsy's home. I realize I forgot to mention it, but Frank and Nielsy have 7 children, two of whom are grown and have left the house. When we reached their home, I was warmed by the modest, but happy structure that I stood in. All 7 of them live in a casa consisting of only a few rooms, but they are so joyful in their circumstance and generous with what little they have. They just love to sit and talk and tease one another and they welcomed me into that ritual. Two of Frank and Nielsy's grandkids were also over and I was touched to see their two oldest boys, of 18 and 16, spending the majority of their time playing with them.
We spent a good 3 1/2 hours enjoying one another's company and eating a delicious garbanzo bean and chicken soup. I showed them pictures of my favorite beach back in Oregon (Pacific City Beach) and they showed me pictures from their recent vacation to the coast. Eventually, Frank needed to go back into San Jose to take someone to the airport, so he drove me back home. But, not before Nielsy invited me to come back to church with them this coming Sunday.
I have been so encouraged from my time with Frank and Nielsy's family. They demonstrated what I see as a beautiful picture of Christian community and family. Not only that, but they have welcomed me in as a part of both. And for that, I am thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment