This weekend will be spent with my program, ISA, at Volcan Arenal.* There, I am hoping to go on a couple of hikes and runs. And, in all reality, I would love to spend the majority of my time either in the pool or reading by it. I finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo and am now working my way through Jane Eyre (a shout out to Nathan Smith since this is one of his favorites).
As to the title of this post, I will now make a few comments. One interesting fact about Costa Rica is that the hot water used to shower comes from the shower head itself. This contraption looks like a small cake in size and has extensive wiring running from it to a rectangular box on the wall that proudly proclaims to the shower-taker that it is running 600 volts of electricity to the shower head. Comforting, right? Somehow it passed Costa Rican safety regulations and no one has died from this ironic contraption yet (that I know of, at least). One of the ISA staff persons recently warned us that if you touch the shower head while the water is running you will get a "small jolt". I have yet to attempt this while taking a shower, but I still have 10 weeks here, so there is time.
As to the topic of how to take a hot shower, the conversation is much more technical in nature. It requires precision, a keen ear and a willingness to bathe under a small trickle of water. As I was told on my first day here: the less pressure, the more heat. Oh, and when the shower head decides to suddenly take a 5 minute lunch break, one has to also be paying enough attention to quickly move to the side of the trickle of water, so as to not end up freezing and negating all that had been gained from the trickle of hot water beforehand. Altogether, though, my bathing experiences in Costa Rica have been positive, even if low-pressured.
After having read the story of Esther, I moved on to Ephesians. Today I was reading chapter 3, the chapter that contains my favorite passage/prayer in the Bible. So here is something to pray for today--for yourself, for those whom love or for those whom are having a hard time loving:
Ephesians 3: 14-21
"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from which every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."
Chau!
*Here is a link to a picture of the hotel pool where we will be staying (and where I hope to be spending a lot of time) at Volcan Arenal, as well as a picture of the Volcano itself:
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1366&bih=607&tbm=isch&tbnid=48qSMERVRCdwiM:&imgrefurl=http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309226-d2452380-Reviews-Los_Lagos_Hot_Springs-La_Fortuna_de_San_Carlos_Arenal_Volcano_National_Park_Provi.html&docid=ktEFOqy5zmX0NM&imgurl=http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/49/4e/66/pool-area.jpg&w=550&h=366&ei=bmT5UNyYJpLV0gG-yYDIDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=679&vpy=131&dur=6598&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=72&ty=201&sig=114227264090604066148&page=4&tbnh=132&tbnw=175&start=73&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:92,s:0,i:366
http://www.elespectador.com/entretenimiento/agenda/goce/imagen-volcan-arenal-costa-rica
No comments:
Post a Comment