(The view from our room)
_________________________________________________________________
Pictures from an early morning run
(the volcano is in the background)
_________________________________________________
Pictures of the hotel grounds and of the butterfly and alligator farms
________________________________________________________
La Fortuna waterfall
This weekend held many exciting moments. Not only did we have hot, high-pressured showers, but we were constantly surrounded by beauty. From early morning runs in the mountains to afternoons spent wandering around the quaint town of La Fortuna, many memories and pictures were had.
But, in the midst of it all, my heart was seemingly bound and weighted by an invisible fetter. This weekend was different from the last because we were with our study abroad program--all 60+ of us were together in one location. In essence, I got to experience what life is like when one is not living in Christian community. By the end of our time in La Fortuna, I was longing to be back in Wheaton--to have deep conversation and be among others who held similar sentiments about language and alcohol and relationships. At the same time, I was eternally grateful for the two roommates I have been blessed with, as they have provided much reprieve from many of the awkward situations we have been faced with.
Being back home in San Jose has helped a lot in my processing all that occurred this past weekend. A friend I made from my Cine y Literatura class, Mason, also informed me of a Bible study that will be starting with the Tico students this week, so I'm excited for that.
I guess the one question I still find myself pondering after all has settled down is: how do I function well in non-Christian community? It seems easy for a few hours or even a day, but I get tired of it all so fast and then isolation sets in. It's not even being in non-christian community, as much as it is being in community that functions completely in contrast with how I live my life.
These are all things to meditate upon and I intend to do just that. I still have 3 days before our next excursion, so hopefully I'm somewhat ready before then.
Chau!
No comments:
Post a Comment